July is here, it’s holiday time ! This year I’m going to Colombia to visit my family on my mother’s side, yay ! We’re going to stay a whole month there, and that means that I need to pack efficiently so I don’t have to carry my whole house on my shoulders
That’s why I though I’d show you the 11 things that I think are essential to me for a long holiday like this one.
1. A Currency Converter App
This is to me one of the most important things I bring with me when I travel (assuming it’s in another country of course). It helps knowing accurately how much I spend, without having to calculate it all every time ! (I’m so bad at math, it would take me ages anyway).
2. Sewing Kits
Ok, this one may not be essential to everyone, but personally I always need to fix something, be it for me or for someone else. A button that pops out, a rip after climbing or walking though the forest, a new cloth that doesn’t fit well… I like to be able to fix all that wherever I go !
Plus, look at that sewing kit from Marzia’s Floral Box … so cute !
3. Containers and Samples
This is a must have for whenever you need to take the plane for a few hours, or if you don’t want to take your full size bottle with you on vacation. I always take a sample or fill a small container with face washing soap, acne care, night/day face cream, hair oil …
Tip : a toothpaste sample is perfect after lunch/dinner when you’re on the plane. Don’t forget your toothbrush though !
4. A Local Sim Card
If you’re lucky enough to travel to a country where the mobile offers are cheap, I highly recommend getting a local sim card. It helps a lot with not getting lost (if you your phone has a GPS of course), it’s also nice to be able to call other people or the police/ambulance when needed.
Or just so you can check your phone at the bus station.
5. Power Banks
Be it while travelling, or at home, who doesn’t hate when their device is out of battery ? A power bank is AWESOME. It’s like another life in a video game : when it’s over, i’ts not really over. Very useful when you’re going to be out all day, or when you have many hours to spend on the plane !
Here are some power banks, you can see there are a lot of price ranges :
6. Bring Your Own Medicine
We might think this is not actually necessary, and for many drugs it might be true. But I’ve already been confronted to situations where the drug I was looking for just didn’t exist where I was (or at least in a very not convenient version).
Plus : who wants a killer headache when you’re deep in the Colombian forest (the answer is no one).
7. Rationalize Make Up
Well, this only applies if you put make up on, obviously. I do bring make up, but only in small amounts. From left to right :
- A small colored eye-shadow palette & Brush : This one is from Canmake (I bought it in Japan), it has a discreet pink, some chocolate brown, and a bright red. This is perfect for any circumstance, since I can make a natural makeup but also a very bold one. The brush is a simple eyeshadow brush from a Wish set.
- Waterproof mascara : Mine is from Bourjois, Volume Glamour Push-Up Mascara, I always bring a waterproof version for pools and river bathing.
- Felt eye liner : I found it at H&M, a very simple black felt liner. I actually prefer the liquid version, but for holiday this one is way more practical, and I know there are going to be some fancy events.
- A Brow felt pen : This is from Bourjois again, Natural Brow Pen in shade 22 (Chatain). I love it because it holds by itself during 16 hours, and it looks sooo natural and discreet !
- Lipstick : I bring three lipsticks, Red (Red Velvet from Limecrime), a Bright Pink (Color Riche S103 – Radiant Rose from L’Oréal), and a regular Everyday Pink (412 – Téhéran from Chanel). Three shades for three different occasions.
- Foundation : I only bring my Clinique Foundation (Even Better with SPF 15, shade 03 – Ivory). I don’t bring any concealer, if I need to hide something i’ll just try my best with this (but I don’t usually have big zones to hide, only redness so i’m fine with only concealer).
- Powder & Brush : If I had to take only 1 make up item with me, it would be this Avène powder (Couvrance Transluscent Mosaic Powder, in Bright). Oily skin isn’t very merciful.
Did you spot the hidden Pusheen ?
8. Rationalize Your Wardrobe
Clothes take a lot of space in a suitcase, so better rationalize them ! The best way to do this in my opinion is to choose them according to a palette, so everything goes well together no matter what !
I made you this picture so you can see how I pack my outfits :
I actually tried to draw my own clothes… hope you like it !
9. Paper/App Dictionaries
Another reason why I like to buy a local sim card : to have my dictionary app with me. But a really small paper dictionary can be great too !
The best app for me is Wordreference, is has many languages and the words are always well explained.
10. A Nice Camera
I’m not talking necessarily about a really good one, like DSLR cameras, because I wouldn’t justify buying something I can’t use for that price. I’m the type of person who likes great pictures, but hates having to do something else than press the button. I bought this camera and it was a revelation, it’s perfect ! It does exactly what I want, I’m so glad to be able to take nice pictures of my trip !
This one is the Sony Alpha 5000 but I recommend getting the 5100 now : you can find it right here
11. A Practical Backpack
Of course, you’ll obviously need a nice and practical backpack to carry everything you need when you’re out visiting your holiday place !
This is the end of the list !
What are your own Travel Essentials ?