So, I’ve been thinking about this series for some time now, that consists in trying two versions of a product : a cheap version, and a brand name version.
I won’t always choose necessarily a luxury brand, just a name brand that is a bit known for it’s quality, and I will compare it to a “no brand” cheap equivalent.
Since I’m a student, I always buy cheap stuff in general, because being a student you don’t really have a huge income. I don’t particularly like cheap things, because it mostly means bad quality, but sometimes you can be surprised !
Here, the product I chose is golden nail polish 💫
🌟 Presentation of both products :
• The Cheap version :
Brand : Vogue
Price : less than 1€/$
I found this one in a basic supermarket in Colombia called Exito (it’s like Wallmart/Target but Colombian version), that’s as cheap as it gets !
• The Brand version :
I can’t really afford Chanel products, luckily my sister gave me this nail polish last Christmas 🎁 (If you’ve been following me since that long, you might have seen my very old Christmas Gifts Post)
🌟 How I used both products :
- I applied them a week ago, and I have seen how the products evolved on my nails all week long.
- I used both exactly the same, with the same base coat, the same top coat, and two coats of each product.
- I’ve been doing everything I need to do daily : I cooked, cleaned, did the dishes, typed on my computer, went to the gym…
You can see that the Vogue one is brighter, more sparkly and yellow. The Chanel one has more a darker grey undertone to it, it looks more metallic and classy.
🌟 How both products evolved :
- The first three days both stayed perfectly in place. The third day, the cheap polish chipped first. There was a small nail polish chip missing on one finger. The brand one didn’t chip that day, but had a small scratch on one nail.
- The next day, the brand nail polish chipped equally.
- Five days later, the Vogue one chipped again, the Chanel one chipped equally the next day.
- Now, a week after : every Vogue finger chipped, almost half of the nail polish is gone on three fingers. On the Chanel hand, two fingers equally chipped, three are damaged but remain almost full.
🌟 Pros and Cons :
- Pros :
- The color is prettier in my opinion. It looks warmer and brighter, perfect for summertime (even Victor agrees).
- It is VERY cheap (less than 1€/$)
- Cons :
- The nail polish is very transparent, even with two coats I can see my nail from close through the product.
- It’s almost completely gone after a week.
- Pros :
- The product is completely opaque, even after one coat (I still added two to be fair since I had to add another one of the cheap version).
- It holds well, after a week you could go and just fix the most damaged nails, since 3 out of 5 are almost undamaged.
- Cons :
- The price. With 25€ I could buy food or pay a part of my bills.
- I think the color is too heavy, it’s very metallic and that makes it kind of cold and greyish, not a fan.
Objectively, the Chanel one wins. It’s obviously way better quality, and if it wasn’t for my color preferences It would have almost no cons. BUT, the price goddammit. I just can’t afford to spend that much on nail polish !
So if I had to buy one of those right now, honestly I would go for the cheap one.
That was my first Cheap vs Brand review, what did you think about it ? 😊
Do you always choose quality, even if it’s expensive ?
See ya ! 💛