Ladies and gents, I have a big announcement to make…
✧ I got self-hosted ! ✧
I’m thrilled ! I’ve considered getting self-hosted regularly during this first year of blogging. And as more and more time went by, I just found more and more pros for the self hosting side.
So let me show you how I did it and maybe it will help you if, like me, you are filled with doubt right now.
There are two places where you can get hosted on wordpress : wordpress.com and wordpress.org. To get self-Hosted, it means that your blog or website will be hosted on wordpress.org.
The pros of self-hosting :
- I love the Idea that you can do anything with your blog : you can modify your html & CSS code (you can do it through your theme’s features if you don’t know how to code), and therefore it’s whole apparence
- Also, wordpress.com can’t DELETE your blog if they think, somehow, that it doesn’t respect their policy
- You are allowed to work with brands without owing wordpress.com anything, I discovered that publicity for example was not freely allowed there (affiliate links aren’t all allowed either)
- You can add soooo many useful plugins !
- Get to choose between thousands of gorgeous wordpress themes
- You can make a bilingual (or trilingual) blog, as an almost trilingual person I can and will use this option 😉
you are basically the REAL owner of your blog, and that is in my opinion really important to me, as I am the one creating the content of my blog.
So why did I hesitate ?
Well, the big issue for me as someone who was hosted on wordpress.com, was my fear of loosing my followers, and views from their reader.
BUT DON’T WORRY : you will keep those with the Jetpack plugin.
✧ How exactly do you go self-hosted ? ✧
So I got self-hosted with Lyrical Host. I browsed through all their website, compared prices and services and saw how happy the bloggers were with it, so I chose it without looking back.
Why Lyrical Host ?
Their client service is excellent, they answer you so fast !
They’re really patient and willing to help you, it was pleasing.
Their explanations are simple, and overall the whole process is plain and uncomplicated : they take care of EVERYTHING ! (including the backup of your site, they do it automatically). I didn’t have to do anything technic, as the price covers for them to take care of every essential computer maneuver.
Also, they have a free resources library, with lots of stock pictures, ebook pdfs… and a monthly pack with new goods !
Plus : you get 10% off with my promotional code : ORIANASNOTES10 !
Here are the steps :
- Go to the Lyrical Host website
- On the host page, click on the WordPress Hosting button :
- Then, you will have to choose between three plans. I chose the Tiny one, as it is enough for me at the moment.
- Now comes an important step : the name of your blog ! It should be as representative of you as possible if you want to stand out. But if you’re perfectly fine with a simple alternative, go for it !
If you’re migrating a blog or site that already exists : choose “transfer your domain from another registrar”.
- Now proceed to checkout, and if there’s any place to write a promotional code, don’t forget that you get 10% off with my code : ORIANASNOTES10 ! If there’s no place to write the code, send it to the Lyrical Host team in a support ticket before the check out 😊
- Last step if you’re moving from another host such as wordpress.com : book your migration ! The team will start migrating your site at the booked time, and will tell you how it goes little by little.
And that’s it !
If there’s ANY question that you need to ask, they are here for you, even really newbie rookie questions (don’t worry we’ve all been there honey).
I might have been capable of going for it and learning to do the process by myself, but honestly I don’t think it’s worth risking doing something the wrong way that would over-complicate a process, that would have been easily done by them.
So now here’s my new beautiful site :
I hope that you like the new features of my blog !
Ask anything you need concerning going self-hosted, i’d be happy to help 😊